12 Aug 2024 01:25:34 EDT (-0400)
From: Twyst
Date: 24 May 1999 14:55:46
Message: <374992a2.0@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message

> Twyst wrote:
> >
> > Well, I had been intending to kill twysted.net - but dammit, I liked
running
> > it. Sure, I was busy a lot, and maintaining it single handedly was
tough -
> > but it was fun. <sigh> This is what happens when you start thinking
about
> > stuff, I guess.....
>
>  Welcome back. I am glad you came back to your senses or perhaps
> you have lost your sanity again instead ? Either way I for one
> am pleased by this announcement. Over the next few days I will be
> thinking about the issues you mentioned in the remainder of your
> message and then offer whatever suggestions/opinions I can think
> of concerning them.

Well, I certainly want to get a team going on the site - It's far too much
work to do it all by myself. There is enough of a userbase out there to be
able to do a "magazine"-styled site, with articles, reviews, tutorials, and
other such things. It's also why I was thinking of other packages , because,
let's face it, apart from the speed factor, there is very little difference
in quality between these "free" renderers and the high-end packages.

I also think I may have to bow to the way of the web, and put advertising on
the site, if only amazon.com, etc.

> BMRT ?

Blue Moon Rendering Tools - an almost free renderer based upon the Renderman
standard. Very nice - but hard to use, imho. mmm, shaders.
Radiance - a radiosity based renderer - I've seen some truly impressive
images made with it.

>   A couple of quick suggestion sould be:  More resource related
> materials like a textures archive, scene files collection, and
> possibly a 3d model repository. I know you have been hosting
> the Pov objects collection (that is probably where most of the
> traffic wascoming from ) but it is restricted to single model
> objects only or a file that creates a single object type object.

So you mean, like full scenes, such as IRTC submissions? Well, that can be
done, too.

I also had a texture archive - I was hosting a mirror of the TexLib.
The biggest problem that I am  going to have is bandwidth. the old
twysted.net was pulling 3-4 gigs a month - which is the limit on my local
server (damned ISP - they give me a 50 Gig download limit, and a 4 gig
upload. Go figure.)

What's nice about owning my own domain, however, is that I can do
subdomains. If I can find either a) someone to donate FTP space/ file space
for just downloading (no web) or b) purchase some more webspace on a
different server, I can set up files.twysted.net for example - and refer all
download links to that.
I have a couple of possibilities -

1) I can put just the actual files on a server on the old connection - ISDN
only, at the moment. This means slow downloads, but no bandwidth
limitations. The actual webpages would be served off my Cable connection.
This seems to be the best tradeoff I can do right now

2) Just have links to the homepage/files on the remote servers - I'd really
not want to do this, tho.

>   A links data base where visitors can add links to build on the
> collection so you don't have to find them all yourself and a
> reliable broken link reporting system that is easy for you to
> delete inoperable links in a timely manner.

Actually, that's what I did have. Nobody ever added anything. <shrug>

>   Possibly a new programs announcement area where program developers
> with new/updated programs and utilities can post their announcements.

Hmm. Sounds like an idea... I think it would also be a good idea to get
authors to use .plan files, or whatever, and do a finger on those. (for an
example, do a finger on twy### [at] twystednet - all that is required is access
to a linux box - all they need to do is create a .plan file in their
account.)

> This would help those who suffer missing usenet group messages
> either from having been away for a while or because their ISP's
> dos not archive messages for very long or mismange them in a way
> that they never appear when posted.

hmm. that's an idea as well....

Ah yes, please note: twysted.net IS currently down - so I have no mail thru
twy### [at] twystednet. (trying to fix. GRRR)

If you want to e-mail me, please use twy### [at] v-wavecom

Twyst