POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Motion sync : Re: Motion sync Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motion sync
From: Ken
Date: 22 May 1999 00:40:36
Message: <374626FD.20E4E2C1@pacbell.net>
Bob Hughes wrote:

> Moved this topic over from the binaries.animation group, the Men in
> Mustangs thread. Question arises as to getting slight motion offsets of
> multiple independantly moving objects.
>
> I just happened to think, I said identical rotations of the prop and that
> relates to a problem with differing object motions through the course of
> animation. Everthing has to be in a ratio where the slowest moving thing
> has to be the basis for the rest (maybe). Get what I mean here?

  I see where you are going with this Bob I can understand the
pitfall of this logic. Instead of catering to the slowest object
in the scene you instead must build around the fastest objects
in the scene.
  Say for example you tare trying to make prop spin fast enough
in an animation to actually blur the blades a bit. You can't
simply say to the prop "spin faster" and expect it to work.
Instead you must insure that you have a high enough frame rate
that you can move the prop in tiny increments so as to smooth
out it's appearance.
  All of the other objects in the scene need only a fraction
of the clock so you can have them doing anything you want in
the mean time. For slower objects you can simply divide the
frames count by a suitable amount and divide your objects
animation function with this number accordingly. You can't
on the other hand make an object go realistically fast in a
very short frame animation with having it look like it was
warping from one place to the next.
  Don't forget that the guys that make video images of bullets
slowly going through a beer bottle or those guys that actually
capture a hummingbirds wings in almost stop motion are using
film speeds of 20,000 to 120,000 frames per sec. I just saw
a special on TV a month ago about a guys work in this field
and he has a new camera on order that allegedly will hit
150,000 frames/sec. I stand in disbelief that this even
possible but then again raytracing seem fast enough to me :)

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net