POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature request (spherize?) : Re: Feature request (spherize?) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:34:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature request (spherize?)
From: Ralf Muschall
Date: 18 May 1999 22:05:20
Message: <37420E2E.3D5EB505@t-online.de>
Rune S. Johansen schrieb:

> It is quite simple, still I don't quite know how to explain it.
> If the keyword was spherize [float] the following:
> box {
>    <-1,-1,-1>, <+1,+1,+1>
>    spherize 1.5
> }
> should make a rounded box from <-2.5,-2.5,-2.5> to <+2.5,+2.5,+2.5>.

> It should sort of extrude any shape in a spherical way so things get bigger
> and rounded.

If your initial body is a polyhedron, just make a macro which shifts
the faces outward by the given distance, add cylinders for the edges,
and spheres for the corners.
This is probably hard for generic shapes, but should be easy for cubes.

If the shape is not a polyhedron, you are sort of lost: The set of
all points in the r-environment (for positive r) of a polynomial
surface might again be a polynomial, but of much higher order.

Ralf