POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature request (spherize?) : Re: Feature request (spherize?) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:28:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature request (spherize?)
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 18 May 1999 13:13:35
Message: <374191af.0@news.povray.org>
Rune S. Johansen <run### [at] get2netdk> wrote:
: Hmm, I don't know what is called a transformation and what is not. Isn't
: turbulence and warps kinds of transformations? Are they linear?

  They are non-linear, but they don't transform the _shape_ of objects,
only textures. The program has already calculated the intersection between
the ray and the object and now it knows where did the ray hit. Now it can
calculate the color of that point in any way it wants. Texturing is not
raytracing anymore.

: Well, I just thought might be possible to combine the calculation of the
: intersection of any object with the intersection of a sphere. I would think
: a sphere intersection is made if the ray comes nearer than [radius] units
: from the center. The same way a spherized object intersection should be made
: if the ray comes nearer than [float] units from any point in the object. But
: since I am not a programmer, I don't know if that actually make sense or
: not.

  The intersection is easy to calculate if the ray is a straight line. If
it's a curve, then we have a problem.