POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature request (spherize?) : Re: Feature request (spherize?) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:35:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature request (spherize?)
From: J  Grimbert
Date: 18 May 1999 05:38:32
Message: <374126FD.436499BB@atos-group.com>
"Rune S. Johansen" wrote:

> I would like to see a new new keyword in POV-Ray that could be added to all
> objects.
> It is quite simple, still I don't quite know how to explain it.
> If the keyword was spherize [float] the following:
> box {
>    <-1,-1,-1>, <+1,+1,+1>
>    spherize 1.5
> }
> should make a rounded box from <-2.5,-2.5,-2.5> to <+2.5,+2.5,+2.5>.

This example would look like a blob supporting a box primitive
(instead of just sphere and cylinder )

> It should sort of extrude any shape in a spherical way so things get bigger
> and rounded.
> It should extend an object so that all points [float] units away from it
> should be included in it.

Yes, sound like a generalized blob...

> You should be able to add it to individual objects in csg and/or to the
> whole csg object as you wish.

Blob again...

> As a non-programmer I would guess it could also support flat objects such as
> disc, triangle ect... These would become solid rounded prisms.

Arggg...

> Hmm, when I think of it, all spherized objects including csg objects
> consisting of multiple objects with different textures would probably need a
> new single texture. I hope not, but anyway, I think the feature would still
> be very usefull.
>
> I hope you understand what I mean.
>
> I see lots of uses for this feature:
> A spherized object with white media around the original object would give a
> nice glow that fits to the object.
> With spherize and the right scaling, any object could be morphed into a
> sphere (and from that into another object).
> An kind of alternative to blobs? Not the same at all, but...
>
> Would that be possible to implement? What about the textures?

What about a simple macro:
 take one object
 for a high number of iterations,
    translate a copy of the object from the center of a sphere to a
point of surface
 repeat until every point of the sphere has been used.

The problem will be to cover the whole sphere completely...
and the distribution should be evenly spaced...