POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Command line questions... (DOS/WIN) : Re: Command line questions... (DOS/WIN) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:29:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Command line questions... (DOS/WIN)
From: Ken
Date: 18 May 1999 03:31:41
Message: <37410916.61A9F261@pacbell.net>
Alan Kong wrote:

> On Mon, 17 May 1999 00:03:08 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
>
> >Your reply just reminded me of a question I have been meaning to ask
> >for a while now. When I upgraded from Pov v3.01 to Pov v3.1 The help
> >file that I have is not in a version that allows you to quote chapter
> >and verse like the previous version did and yours still seems to allow.
>
>   Wanna hear something strange? I'm glad you mentioned this because I
> never noticed the change in the version of the docs that come with
> POV-Ray for Windows because my personal preference is to use the .pdf
> (Adobe Acrobat) version on my Windows machine. I like to watch the
> page number counter at the bottom of Acrobat Reader spin along when
> it's performing a search for me <s>.
>
>   I didn't realize that with the POV-Win Help there is no longer any
> way to reference the section numbers! I'll make an inquiry in the back
> office to see what the Team thinks about this.
> --
> Alan

  I would really appreciate it if you would. There are many times I
look up a proceedure in the docs when replying to someones question
and then proceed to tell the person in need of help to read such and
such section if my explaination is not clear enough. It is nearly
impossible to direct them to the exact location because there is no
way to know where it is since the change to the new help files.

Thank you for taking an interest in this issue Alan.

  One thing I have wondered and never went so far as trying for
myself is if the Win Word version of the docs is displayed internaly
or does the system have to spawn an outside application each time
you want to use the online documentation. If you had to go with an
external progam each time that sure would be a lot of wasted time
waiting for a file the size of the Pov docs to load and become usable.
The current system becomes available in about 8 sec internaly which
is a bearable amount of time to wait.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net