POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rocks : Re: Voyager's Rings Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:34:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Voyager's Rings
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 17 May 1999 10:52:28
Message: <37401f1c.0@news.povray.org>
Simon de Vet <sde### [at] istarca> wrote in message

> Well, Smaller with the emphasis on the Small part... we're talking about a
> teeny-tiny planet here...  Suppose the ratio of Planet size to Ring size
is
> roughly constant.

    Well, see... I don't know that I want to do that. 8-) I hear that the
earth has a ring, and it's too small to be visible from the ground. Whereas
Saturn's rings are almost a naked eye object from here.

> However,
> even this firendly estimate results in a planet about 20km in diameter.
Still
> far to tiny...

    If I understand what rings are... an area in the orbit of the planet
where the tidal forces are too strong to support the formation of a planet,
but stable enough to collect debris. The denser the planet, the closer the
ring, the wider the potnetial area of disturbed forces. I could be wrong, I
usually research these things before typing them in stone, but I've got my 8
year old mind on today...

> BTW, you write SF? Any available to read?

    Eh, I just looked on my old computer and I have some stuff that I wrote
a while ago that I can put on a web page, but I don't want to broadcast
anything I still have hopes of getting a publisher for...