POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : One job for the knowledgeable nearsighted. : Re: One job for the knowledgeable nearsighted. Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:16:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One job for the knowledgeable nearsighted.
From: Matthew Bennett
Date: 13 May 1999 17:13:03
Message: <373b324f.0@news.povray.org>
Jean Montambeault wrote in message <373741d2.0@news.povray.org>...

<snip>
>>Your reasoning for more eyes escapes me 8)
>

>        Sorry,
>
>            that's a bad joke from a French guy who just can't get the
>meaning of certain American expressions like "four-eyes" as an insult to
>somebody who wears glasses. I just can't get what's insulting in it or
where
>are the third an fourth eye in all that anyway. But I found the idea of

I think the "four-eyes" expression comes from calling the two lenses in the
person's glasses "eyes".  So they have their own two eyes, then another two
"eyes" (the glasses) - so giving the apparently insulting name of
"four-eyes" :)

That's probably why some people (including myself) were a little confused
about the "three eyes" suggestion ;) I don't know whether the expression
orginated in America, elsewhere or just made up independantly.... either
way, I think it's a fairly common insult in UK primary-schools ;)

It's not surprising people who have not grown up in an English-language
speaking area don't understand all the jokes/insults - I have yet to find a
book that does this for any language!

Erk... a bit off-topic here - sorry.

Matt