POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.msdos : Re: Question : Re: Question Server Time
18 May 2024 09:56:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question
From: Ian Burgmyer
Date: 12 May 1999 23:56:24
Message: <373a3f58.0@news.povray.org>
Get Linux!  It works!  I know!  I have it!  I'm shouting!  Why am I
shouting?!  I'm hyper!  Too much cappuccino!

Okay, enough of that :)

Anyways, I have a rather painful feeling that Linux will be able to support
DOS (with dosemu, of course DOS will have to be on another partition) longer
then Windows. . .sad, considering Microsoft made both DOS and Windows.  Too
bad. . .

-Ian

Margus Ramst <mar### [at] peakeduee> wrote in message

> Ron Parker wrote in message <371f898e.0@news.povray.org>...
> >
> >Well, since Win2000 *is* NT, of course it's similar.  In fact, it's NTFS
5,
> >which is not compatible with NTFS 4, so even NT4 SP3 has trouble with it.
>
> And people dream about backward-compatibility with DOS?! <grim laugh>
>
> >There are drivers available that can read (but not write) NTFS partitions
> >from DOS, however (they ignore security, too!)
>
> Well, if it can't write, it's not much use, is it? Except, of course, for
> blatantly bypassing security (dare I assume these drivers are not endorsed
> by MS)?
>
> Anyway, only the need for a large partition drove me to Win98. Any
> additional benefits are over 95 negligible. I'm not quite sure what would
> prompt me to get Win2000 before software compatibility becomes a problem.
So