POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature Idea : Re: Feature Idea Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:32:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Idea
From: Ken
Date: 16 May 1999 08:24:55
Message: <373EAAD0.CD641E33@pacbell.net>
Chris Harrison wrote:

> How about displacement map textures (a la 3D Studio). This would be a
> very useful feature as it would enable people to not mess about with
> meshes, and get the result they're looking for very quickly. However,
> I'd imagine it would be very hard to impliment, seeing that POV's
> primitives are just all basically mathematical definitions. It would
> also make the raytrace really slow...
> What do you think?
>
> Chris Harrison
> http://www.ChrisHarrison.co.uk/

 This topic was discussed in this group as recently as 1 to 2 months ago.
The consensus from all of the armchair programmers out there at the time
was that it is not a trivial thing to add and would take some major work
to impliment properly in the present structure fo the program. There was
also some discussion as to it's effectivness and if there were not other
alternatives that would offer superior results with equal or less work
for the developers.

  You never know what will get the developers itching, and what they will
scratch when they do, so don't count it out completely.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net