POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sudden POVRAY problem, invalid page fault : Re: Sudden POVRAY problem, invalid page fault Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:31:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sudden POVRAY problem, invalid page fault
From: Ken
Date: 15 May 1999 21:49:39
Message: <373E15E8.D5FA2B8E@pacbell.net>
Bill DeWitt wrote:

> I don't know if it is proper to ask about this here, but I can't get POVRAY
> to work anymore.
> I was rendering, re-rendering, suddenly couldn't render. Nothing changed, it
> just stopped working.
> I rebooted, ran scandisk, norton AV, (no problems detected) tried again, ran
> once then stopped.
> I reinstalled over the current installation, didn't work.
> Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, didn't work
> Finally tried using a non-animated .INI and that seemed to work , but then
> it wouldn't work when I went back to my animation.
>
> Here's the error, I'm using POV 3.1 in Win98 on a PII400 with 128 ram,
> thanks for any help, I'll be trying different things all night until it
> works.

  The first and most obvious question that comes to mind is if you have
tried rendering other files than the one you are working on currently.
There are rare occassions where one particular Pov file will cause invalid
page faults and there is nothing you do to stop it until you change the
conditions that are causing the fault. Sometimes it's simple like a defect
in an image map other times it might even be a bug in Pov itself. If you
have already tried other scenes and you are still having the problem I don't
know what to say as it seems you have tried some of the biggies already. Have
you tried deleting your windows managed swap file. Sometimes stuff gets in
there that does not get purgred properly and the only way to get rid of it
is to delete the file. It's Titled win386.swp and can only be deleted when
in true dos mode. There is no harm in deleting it and Windows will happily
write a new one with whatever it likes keep hidden in there.

 If you do isolate it to your scene file and can't find the problem with it
send it this way and I'll kick it's tires for you and see if I can figure
out what is causing the problem for you.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net