POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media Question : Re: Media Question Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:36:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media Question
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 14 May 1999 09:25:24
Message: <373C1635.F201AB17@peak.edu.ee>
The background is there, it just doesn't show through the media. This is
logical, when you think about it: it is infinitely far, so it is hidden by
an infinitely thick layer of media. And in the vacuum of space you really
don't get these light/laser beams showing up, 'cause there is no scattering
media there. POV's media model is fairly accurate, so physically inaccurate
things (like visible laser beams a la Star Wars) cannot be done in this way.
Having said that - to get the effect you want I suggest you use a finite,
contained media instead of an infinite global one. Something like a large
dust cloud to make the light beam show up. Or if the beam is parallel (like
a laser) use an emitting media with cylindrical density.

Margus