POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : One job for the knowledgeable nearsighted. : One job for the knowledgeable nearsighted. Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  One job for the knowledgeable nearsighted.
From: Jean Montambeault
Date: 10 May 1999 10:28:59
Message: <3736df1b.0@news.povray.org>
Okay now...

Foreforeword: you may put this :o) wherever you'll feel it's needed to keep
your sanity. Don't know if it's going to be of much use though.

Foreword:
            Don't worry, the attachment isn't a scene file, just an example.
It is less messy that way than if I paste it in the body of this message.

            Now the interesting stuff.

            If you render  this (let's say 640X480 AA or not) you will see a
red hexagon, points up, surrounded by 6 blue ones, drawn a bit too close to
the red one (notice the R = .95 in polygon.pov). This is to ensure that
there is no chance that any black pixel is going to be put at the seam
between the blue and the red colors.

            Here's the part where you must be wearing thick glasses for the
nearsighted. Mine are of dioptre 6 force. Those glasses that are thinned on
the edges might not work, I don't know. Turn you're head on one side while
keeping your eyes on the red hexagon. If I am *not* going crazy, you should
see the red hexagon drift toward the same side that you're turning your head
*and* a black border form around that hexagon on the sides opposite to that
drift direction. This works on either sides or if you nodding to see the
image at the limit of you lenses.

            Now, I was expecting that since its a simple prismatic effect
that makes objects of different colors to appear at other relative places
than they really are. What is puzzling me is that black border made of
nothing ! I am not looking at a black color : I am looking at *nothingness*
!!!! Is this a rip in the space-time continuum ? Have I been swallowed
already ? Are *you* reading this or are those you, other you(s), on the
other side of the mirror (in which case Moray's coordinates would be the
right way ? Not bad !(Hi Lutz!)). Help me! Help me!!

            Neaj

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'polygon1.pov.txt' (1 KB)