POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Let me see if I've got it... : Re: Let me see if I've got it... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Let me see if I've got it...
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 5 May 1999 06:09:38
Message: <37300B68.8E857C1F@inapg.inra.fr>
As much as I love it, I don't think that POV is usable in professional
conditions that demand and value productivity. Programmes like Max or
Lightwave come with lots of bells, whistles and plugins that make the life
easier for the user, and cheaper for the user's client, and we all know how
hard it is to create good scenes with POV (doing it the hard way is part of
the fun actually). Just think that the AWSOME OCEAN PIC we've seen was
(probably) done with a plugin for Max and Lightwave. Doing this with POV
could be theoretically possible but would require an amount of work and
rendering time not compatible in a professional situation.  I don't think
that even POV 4.0 is likely to change that situation (be sure that I ***
wish *** I'm mistaken).
I've worked now and then for clients with POV (and made very little money
out of it), but fortunately I was not asked to do the kind of stuff you can
see in the Max or Lightwave sites because I wouldn't have been able to do
them within an acceptable deadline, even with my 6 years of experience with
POV. And of course, the clients expect you to use the standard tools of the
trade. So my little piece of advice is : stick to POV for art & hobby, and
learn Max, LW or some other pro tool if you want to do pro work.

Gilles Tran