POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How many of you overclock your CPU ? : Re: How many of you overclock your CPU ? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:17:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How many of you overclock your CPU ?
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 2 May 1999 09:37:22
Message: <372c4702.0@news.povray.org>
I have a 333MHz Celeron OCd to 416 (runs rock-solid and quite cool). The
333 really is not a good choice for overclocking (300A is the best). It has
a locked multiplier of 5, so my next option would be
100MHz(bus)*5(cpu)=500MHz. Very few Celerons (be they 266 or 433) work at
speeds of 500MHz and beyond. I have thought of giving mine some extra
voltage and trying, but that would mean tampering with the cpu pins (unless
your MB supports cpu voltage select).
    Pentiums are less overclockable, and  I don't believe 550+ speeds are
common with the 450. Generally, the physical limit of the current .25 micron
manufacturing process is around 550-600MHz. But if you do manage to get to
550MHz (4.5*123fsb), you'll need high quality RAM - preferably one of the
PC133 variety. Proper cooling is also essential, more so than with Celerons.
Good luck.

Margus