POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How many of you overclock your CPU ? : Re: How many of you overclock your CPU ? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How many of you overclock your CPU ?
From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 2 May 1999 07:34:10
Message: <372c2a22.0@news.povray.org>
I'm running a Pentium Celeron which is supposed to be 300 Mhz with 450 Mhz.
This goes on without problems for, I don't really remember, a couple of
months now (2 or 3).
We have other machines here at work with the same setup that run since late
last year, also without problems.
But you can get unlucky: We made the experience, that approximately 1 out of
3 (or maybe 2 out of 5) such celerons do not really want to be overclocked
that much: Doing so results in Windows NT blue screens (usually quite soon
after booting or even during boot). Those we run at 366 Mhz instead.

The Celeron usually can be overclocked more than other Pentiums because it
doesn't have a casing, and thus is easier to cool.
But as far as I know, the Celeron is locked into a clock modifier of 4.5. So
you are not really totally free in your choices:

Either run the standard: 66.6 Mhz Bus times 4.5 = 300 Mhz
or the 80 Mhz Bus times 4.5 = 366 Mhz
or the 100 Mhz Bus time 4.5 = 450 Mhz

(of course it depends on which bus frequencies your motherboard supports).

So long,
Johannes.