POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Useless macro challenger : the Pipe macro : Re: Useless macro challenger : the Pipe macro Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:11:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Useless macro challenger : the Pipe macro
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 3 May 1999 09:02:51
Message: <372D90FB.89D6A8BB@inapg.inra.fr>
I agree that this is a little confusing. I guess that the binaries.utilities group
was created for non-pov-made utilities like the dome generator or the tree creator
and that posting zipped macros there is extending its initial purpose. Now, macros
are "utilities" so when someone is looking for, say, a tree generator, one doesn't
know at first if it's a macro or an executable and it's logical to look for it in
a "utilities" group. In fact, from the user's point of view, it may even not
matter if it's text or binary. Multiplying the groups could be confusing too, I'd
rather have a single "utilities" group for both text & binaries, macros &
non-macros (though this could be confusing too). No good solution there I fear and
I still rely on Ken Tyler to keep track of the utilities posted here and there...

Gilles