POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Grass : Re: Grass Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:14:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grass
From: Ken
Date: 28 Apr 1999 10:32:38
Message: <37270C99.79ACC460@pacbell.net>
Margus Ramst wrote:

> I haven't used the leveller export feature, but I suspect it exports the
> points of the HF as height values, so in a 400X400 HF you get 400X400 height
> values. But what if you don't want the objects positioned exactly at the HF
> grid points? Or you want to place them more densely than the HF resolution?
> You would then have to do pretty complex math to interpolate the height of
> an arbitrary point on the HF - or use a (potentially inaccurate)
> approximation.
> With trace() you can use any density, introduce jitter etc. All it takes is
> to make 2 nested while loops going from Xmin to Xmax and Ymin to Ymax. I
> think I already have the macro somewhere. If you want it, I'll look it up.
>
> Margus

  Leveller will allow you to sample the grid of a HF and pick a % of
the total available amount of coverage that you wish to use. You can
also specify a min/max for the level so you don't for example populate
your lake basin with grass or your mountain top with petunias. It is
a very versatile function that I am familiar with and it is very easy
to use.
  It will also produce the while loop script for you so you don't
have to worry about syntax problems. If you need your objects slightly
higher or lower it's a simple matter off translating the whole works
in the direction you wish to go or since they should be defined at the
origin to begin with you can simply have them slightly higher or lower
than that position to get them to where you need them.

   I would not be recommending it if it were not indeed an easy and
functional process for doing exactly what the original poster requested.
I am personaly into easy when it is available and this is a brainless
operation that offers a lot of power.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net