POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : why are differences soooo slow? : Re: why are differences soooo slow? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: why are differences soooo slow?
From: Rainer Mager
Date: 27 Apr 1999 23:47:56
Message: <372676dc.0@news.povray.org>
Ok, I follow all of this but what happens why you are doing a lot of
differences which take up a majority of the image.

For example, I have something like this:

difference {
    box {
        <-10,0,-10>, <10,1,10>
        texture...
    }
    #while...lots of cylinders like this...
        cylinder {
            <xx, -0.1, zz>, <xx, 1.1, zz>, rr
        }
    #end
}

and my view of this scene basically is just this box thingy. Is there any
way to speed this up? If I bound the whole thing it doesn't help because
every ray hits it anyway. I can try to strategically bind the cylinders but
this doesn't seem to help much at all. The only way I can think of that
would help significanly is making a lot of small boxes with singly cylinder
differences and then putting all of them together to seem like a single
large box. For my real scene, however, this might be difficult. I'll look
into it.

--Rainer