POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : FEATURE REQUEST: meta blobs : Re: FEATURE REQUEST: meta blobs Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:14:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FEATURE REQUEST: meta blobs
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 27 Apr 1999 14:46:03
Message: <3725f7db.0@news.povray.org>
In article <372### [at] geocitiescom> , "Greg M. Johnson"
<gre### [at] geocitiescom> wrote:

> I am talking about blobs.  My IRTC entry, "Lane changing incident at the
> Pan-Compositional Games," was made of blobs of human running figures.  The MPG
> is at: http://oz.irtc.org/ftp/pub/anims/1998-10-15/lane.mpg And a JPG is at:
> http://irtc.org/anims/1998-10-15/lane.jpg
>
> My runners are not in dresses but their legs "blob" together when they get
> close to each other.   I wanted a feature that would say,

You can use a trick:
If the strength of two blobs does not interact (i.e. they are far enough
away from each other) you can remove one of the blobs without changing the
result. You can use this fact to do some tricks with CSG: Construct a
complete body with blobs, then copy each arm and leg blobs. Use for example
a plane to clip away the interacting parts of the main body and do it the
other way around for each arm and leg. It is a lot of testing usually, but
it works (not perfect, but better than having them interact).

   Thorsten