POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : FEATURE REQUEST: meta blobs : Re: FEATURE REQUEST: meta blobs Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:14:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FEATURE REQUEST: meta blobs
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 27 Apr 1999 10:37:33
Message: <3725BCF4.E95D6BC@geocities.com>
I am talking about blobs.  My IRTC entry, "Lane changing incident at the
Pan-Compositional Games," was made of blobs of human running figures.  The MPG is
at:
 http://oz.irtc.org/ftp/pub/anims/1998-10-15/lane.mpg
And a JPG is at:
 http://irtc.org/anims/1998-10-15/lane.jpg

My runners are not in dresses but their legs "blob" together when they get close
to each other.   I wanted a feature that would say,

blob{
    threshhold  0.4
    sphere {center_1, radius, strength, [list_of_subblobs]}
    sphere {center_2, radius, strength, [list_of_subblobs]}
    sphere {center_3, radius, strength, [list_of_subblobs]}
    etc.
    }

Where [list_of_subblobs]  is a list of ordinal numbers,  say [1,3,4], where each
number corresponds to a different area on the big blob to blob with.

Each blob component would have a list of subblobs that it would choose to blob
with.  For example, the blob components for the right leg would blob with each
other and the but but not the left leg. The buttock collection or the whole torso
could be sub-blob #1, the right leg sub-blob #2, the left leg sub-blob #3, etc.

Some advanced BLOB MODELLERS, or META-BALL MODELLERS, have this feature, according
to the book Digital Character Animation.