POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Linux Pov vs. Win Pov : Re: Linux Pov vs. Win Pov Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:25:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux Pov vs. Win Pov
From: Jan Schäfer
Date: 27 Apr 1999 04:57:22
Message: <37256DDC.B8B3452A@imise.uni-leipzig.de>
Mark Gordon schrieb:

> POV-Ray 3.1 for Linux should run faster on a P-100 than the Windows
> version, but it actually runs slower on my dual-booting PII-333.  The
> POV-Ray binary for Windows is compiled with Pentium II optimizations
> that help on a Pentium II but may actually run slower on a Pentium, as > I
> understand it.  I can't confirm this, since I don't have VC++, and the
> only Pentium machine I have is a dedicated Linux box.  I also have no
> idea how well or poorly the binaries run on non-Intel CPU's.

3.1e on my AMD-K6-maschine. Linux was always faster than Windows until I set the
render priority to highest in the Windows version. But than you can do nothing

An other scene made by me was rendered on Linux in about 5 minutes and the
Windows version took about 6 minutes. (800 x 600, A0.3)

I must say, that I have not recompiled the Linux version. I took the binaries as
they were.

So long,

Jan