POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Linux Pov vs. Win Pov : Re: Linux Pov vs. Win Pov Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:15:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux Pov vs. Win Pov
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 27 Apr 1999 01:40:44
Message: <37253FFF.B39DC9C1@mailbag.com>
POV-Ray 3.1 for Linux should run faster on a P-100 than the Windows
version, but it actually runs slower on my dual-booting PII-333.  The
POV-Ray binary for Windows is compiled with Pentium II optimizations
that help on a Pentium II but may actually run slower on a Pentium, as I
understand it.  I can't confirm this, since I don't have VC++, and the
only Pentium machine I have is a dedicated Linux box.  I also have no
idea how well or poorly the binaries run on non-Intel CPU's.

I'm looking into different compilers in hopes of regaining the across
the board performance advantage of Linux.  I don't expect anyone would
complain of POV-Ray got faster. ;-)  If we end up distributing binaries
that don't work well on some CPU's, Linux (and other Unix) users can
recompile it for their CPU's more readily than most users.

--
Mark Gordon
mtg### [at] povrayorg