POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ANNOUNCE: Uncle Ken's Link's Page : Re: Austrailia at war with the US ? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Austrailia at war with the US ?
From: Chris Cason
Date: 24 Apr 1999 05:55:48
Message: <372185f7.24176921@news.povray.org>
Steve <sjl### [at] ndirectcouk> wrote:

>I had a similar problem downloading something last weekend, I
>went to an official site in the US, but you were all awake and on
>the internet so it was real slow.  I decided to find a mirror,
>went to Oz and got some sort of unauthorized type error message.

This is because we (basically most Australians, though many individual users
don't realise it because the costs are hidden in a flat-rate deal with their
ISP) pay anywhere between roughly us$0.09 and us$0.14 per megabyte for traffic
between here and the USA. AARNET recently decided connections from the USA (and
elsewhere) were costing it too much and basically shut off all outside access
to its mirror archive. This doesn't just affect the USA, as you folks in the UK
have discovered.