POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.msdos : Re: Question : Re: Question Server Time
5 May 2024 01:41:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question
From: Ron Parker
Date: 23 Apr 1999 10:49:09
Message: <37207a55.0@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 23 Apr 1999 02:21:18 +0300, Margus Ramst <mar### [at] peakeduee> wrote:
>>There are drivers available that can read (but not write) NTFS partitions
>>from DOS, however (they ignore security, too!)
>
>Well, if it can't write, it's not much use, is it? Except, of course, for
>blatantly bypassing security (dare I assume these drivers are not endorsed
>by MS)?

There is a limited-write version available from the same people for a fee
that allows you to do simple things like rename or delete files.  If you've
ever had an NT machine decide to fall over at boot time, you know how useful
something like that could be.  The last time I had something like that happen,
I had to transplant the drive from the dead machine into a live NT machine to
fix the problem.  It would have been nice to be able to boot a DOS floppy with
NTFS drivers on it.

But you assume correctly, the drivers are based on reverse-engineering of the
undocumented NTFS format and are not endorsed by MS.