POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.msdos : Re: Question : Re: Question Server Time
5 May 2024 03:35:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 22 Apr 1999 20:23:03
Message: <371faf57.0@news.povray.org>
Ron Parker wrote in message <371f898e.0@news.povray.org>...

>Well, since Win2000 *is* NT, of course it's similar.  In fact, it's NTFS 5,
>which is not compatible with NTFS 4, so even NT4 SP3 has trouble with it.

And people dream about backward-compatibility with DOS?! <grim laugh>

>There are drivers available that can read (but not write) NTFS partitions
>from DOS, however (they ignore security, too!)

Well, if it can't write, it's not much use, is it? Except, of course, for
blatantly bypassing security (dare I assume these drivers are not endorsed
by MS)?

Anyway, only the need for a large partition drove me to Win98. Any
additional benefits are over 95 negligible. I'm not quite sure what would
prompt me to get Win2000 before software compatibility becomes a problem. So
I could probably use POVDOS for yet a few years. Unless I decide to get
Linux. And I probably will.

Margus