POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : White *IS* Green! : Re: White *IS* Green! Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: White *IS* Green!
From: Ross Smith
Date: 21 Apr 1999 18:20:42
Message: <371e412a.0@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote in message <371D7729.78C6FFB9@pacbell.net>...

>  The reason you people are seeing this now and perhaps not on
>older versions of Pov is because unknown to you the Pov team has
>silently been working in the back ground to fix annoying little
>things the program does like stopping to inform a user that they
>are stupid and misplaced a comma.
>  More specificaly they have started assigning a default pigment
>colors to patterns that none specified by you. This helps because
>if you forget to specify a color for the pattern Pov will render
>the scene with the default color instead of stopping to issue a
>warning message suggesting you fix your work before you try again.
>  It manifests it's self when you improperly specify color list
>patterns like the missing comma seperator in the example today.
>It is mentioned in the docs in several catagories concerning
>list patterns that a comma seperator is needed or unexpected
>results can be expected.

Is this really true? If I make a mistake I want the interpreter to warn
me, not silently go off and do the Wrong Thing. Why would the authors
put in such a horrible misfeature?

--
Ross Smith ................................... mailto:ros### [at] ihugconz
.............. The Internet Group, Auckland, New Zealand ..............