POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Working on Mirrorball : Re: Working on Mirrorball Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:25:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Working on Mirrorball
From: Matthias
Date: 19 Apr 1999 16:21:26
Message: <371b8236.0@news.povray.org>
Thomas Willhalm <Tho### [at] uni-konstanzde> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
qqm### [at] hornfmiuni-konstanzde...
> "Matthias" <sma### [at] t-onlinede> writes:

source
> > as only parameters. If anyone tried something like this so far please
tell
> > me so I can spare time!
> > Help with the media parameters to make the very thin lightrays visible
is
> > also welcome.
> > Thanks
> >  Smarf :)
>
> Perhaps you should have a look at my disco ball. It is probably quite
> easy to convert it to a macro. At the time when I created the image,
> Nathan's photon map patch didn't exist. That's why I included the
> "virtual" spot light sources to get the reflected lights. Using Nathan's
> patch this is now obsolete.
>
> The scene uses a halo to make the light beams visible. So, fiddling
> around with the media will be your job. :-)
>
> The image as well as the source code and an animation can be found at
> http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm/graphics/tracegallery/index.html
>
> Feel free to ask when you have further questions.
>
> Thomas
>
> --
> http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm

Great!!

Lighteffect.
Is it OK if I copy a few lines of your file? Of course your name will appear

the virtual Lights anyway for I just finished my own Simulation with
spotlights instead of cylinders. They have the advantage that the Rays get
"thicker" the longer they travel- like in reality, but the disadvantage of
being not existent at their origin, so I put the Light_sources inside the
Ball which means that it has to be a no shadow object.(see Picture)

The other possibility you mentioned - the patch - seems to be interesting
too. I usually am no fan of patches but wait until they appear as part of

caustics with this Photon-map feature?
Matthias

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: