POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Decorating an object : Re: Decorating an object Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:17:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Decorating an object
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 21 Apr 1999 18:39:37
Message: <371E4569.48B8A4F8@aol.com>
//box with image mapped on
 box {0,1
  pigment {
   image_map {tga "starbtxt.tga" map_type 0} //use tga, png, gif, (bmp
maybe?)
  }
 translate <-.5,-.5,-.5> //center these
  scale <3,2,1> //scale to original image width height ratio
 }

This would be okay, except it will texture the box all the way through
from front to back (mirrored image on reverse side) and also show the
image boundry color on the other faces.
To circumvent that you would need to either add a second slightly larger
box with the front clipped away or map to a plane instead and clip that
with the box while also adding the box.

union {
 box {0,1}
 plane {z,0
  pigment {
   image_map {tga "starbtxt.tga" map_type 0} //use tga, png, gif, (bmp
maybe?)
  }
 clipped_by {box {0,1 translate -.5*z}}
 } //end plane
 translate <-.5,-.5,-.5> //center these
  scale <3,2,1> //scale to original image width height ratio
 } //end union

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe