POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Announce: Steiner surface web site : Re: Announce: Steiner surface web site Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Announce: Steiner surface web site
From: david sharp
Date: 20 Apr 1999 16:02:19
Message: <371CC12A.6D6A@interport.net>
Ken wrote:
[ ... ]
>   This message reminds me of something I have been meaning to ask for a few
> months now but always seem to forget. Below are three Parametric equations
> that describe shapes that are either interesting, useful, or both. Alas my
> math skills are prehistoric compared to what it takes to plug them into the
> quartic matrix that Pov uses to display these types of advanced shapes.

Of course, you don't need to convert to quartics, use patched
versions of POV-Ray, or other programs, if you get POV to make
the triangles for the parametric surface. With arrays and macros,
the process goes much faster and easier than the 'old days'

As an example, I will post a rendering of your 'Klein's Cycloid' in
povray.binaries.images under subject 'cycloid', and the pov file in,
i guess, povray.text.scene-files.

My question is: what the hell is it?