POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Announce: The Gilles Tran Raytracing Competition : Re: Announce: The Gilles Tran Raytracing Competition Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Announce: The Gilles Tran Raytracing Competition
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 20 Apr 1999 12:58:41
Message: <371CA4B9.9D1017ED@inapg.inra.fr>
Whew, looks like I have real fans out there :D
Big thanks to everybody. I should hire some of you people as worldwide
sales managers, but you have a too bright future in 3D !

I wish I had Kenneth "Lynx" Tyler's talent for well-phrased answers, but
here are a few thoughts.

- AFAIK I'm not dead (wait a minute... checking... OK, I'm still alive), so
seeing my name in an "award" is kinda spooky (though flattering of course)
!
- Competitions in art or in anything related to feelings don't feel right
somehow, even if the challenge itself can be very exciting. I understand
(and appreciate) a "best-looking laser sabre competition" because it is
pure skill, dedication and good work, but originality depends too much on
what one calls "originality".
- I always had trouble judging artworks ; this is just me, I don't know how
to praise nicely, and I hate being critical, because it can always hurt
people. In fact, I really feel bad about this, because I know too well how
important it is when what you create gets some recognition (even in tiny
amounts), and constructive criticism is obviously very helpful.
- Now if anyone wants to write stories around his/her pictures, makes some
music, creates anything, good or not, and make a competition out of it or
not, don't worry, I'll be happy.
Keep on  tracing !
Gilles