POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Announce: Steiner surface web site : Re: Announce: Steiner surface web site Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:27:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Announce: Steiner surface web site
From: Ken
Date: 19 Apr 1999 04:57:13
Message: <371AE182.77241A99@pacbell.net>
Ph Gibone wrote:
>> You did not mention if it was a dos or windows program.
> WIndow 32 bits.

  This I can use.

> >  One question I have is how you handle infinite objects with your
> >program. Several of the examples in the shapesq.inc file are infinite
> >in one plane. If you make a mesh for one of these types the program
> >would not stop making triangles for as long as hard drive would have
> >room to hold them. Do you automaticaly clip the object at some boundry
> >or did you simply make it refuse to handle shapes of this type ?
>
> It is a program to render parametrized functions, not implicit ones so, you
> have to choose the range of the 2 parameters, and so the program knows where
> to stop !

  Ok. I believe I understand what you are saying.

> I will write a little help and send it to you wwith the program in a few
> days (everything written in french on the screen).

A very big help - thank you.

> Philippe
>
> PS : I just tried the triaxial tritorus and I wonder if there is an error in
> you equation, I also tried the tear drop : great ! is it a parametrized
> equation of the "well known" piriform or someting else ?

  The only thing I see that may be wrong is it looks like I might have
 dropped a ")" from the end of the z: coordinates line. See arrow below.

  x = sin(u) (1+cos(v))
  y = sin(u+2 PI/3) (1+cos(v+2 PI/3))
  z = sin(u+4 PI/3) (1+cos(v+4 PI/3)  <-------

 If that does not fix it I will try to locate the site where I copied
 the functions from originaly. I am not sure where it was from but I
 have a couple of links that might aim me in the right direction.

 As far as the tear drop is concerned I am not sure who did the work on
 the parameterazation for that but I can asure you that it was not me.
 I use a calculator for counting the number of fingers on my hands :)

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net