POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mushroom cloud using DF3 : Re: Mushroom cloud using DF3 Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:28:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mushroom cloud using DF3
From: Ken
Date: 16 Apr 1999 16:41:00
Message: <371790F6.5E2AF293@pacbell.net>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:57:01 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
> >  That would of course be appreciated but I think that the one thing
> >on many peoples minds at this point is what exactly should a .df3 file
> >contain ? What does it do and how can a person control it to make the
> >media conform to a shape at will ?
>
> Have you ever found yourself wishing you could create a 3D bitmap?
> Perhaps something simple, like alternating octahedra and tetrahedra
> in a nice lattice.  Or something complex, perhaps a swirly pattern
> that can't be modeled with POV's built-in procedural textures. Say
> you have a nice algorithm to generate it but the only language you
> know is Visual Basic, so patching POV is out of the question.
>
> Well, a .df3 file is just that: a 3D bitmap.  When you use one, it's
> just like an imagemap (well... more like Nathan's image_pattern patch,
> in that it works with color_map) except that it varies in all three
> dimensions instead of just two.
>
> You're the artist here; you tell me how useful such a thing is. :)

  I have as yet insuffecient data to perform a meaningful task.

  I am not arguing it's potential for the artist I am crying for more
imput on how to use it. I even to some degree understand the 3d image
file concept but don't know where to start in it's implementation.
For example the program tga2df3. If I wanted to create a simple shape
let's pick something simple like a narrow cylinder with a sphere on top.
Your basic tootsi pop shaped object. What kind of tga images would I
feed tga2df3 to realize this shape when applied in a density statement ?

  Give me fundamentals I will worry about concepts later. I need buttons
to push not fancy words to ponder. Give me a damn monkey wrench so I
can start to work with it.

Buzz ! Click !

--
Ken Tyler