POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mushroom cloud using DF3 : Re: Mushroom cloud using DF3 Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mushroom cloud using DF3
From: Ron Parker
Date: 16 Apr 1999 16:30:35
Message: <37178fdb.0@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:57:01 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
>  That would of course be appreciated but I think that the one thing
>on many peoples minds at this point is what exactly should a .df3 file
>contain ? What does it do and how can a person control it to make the
>media conform to a shape at will ?

Have you ever found yourself wishing you could create a 3D bitmap?
Perhaps something simple, like alternating octahedra and tetrahedra
in a nice lattice.  Or something complex, perhaps a swirly pattern
that can't be modeled with POV's built-in procedural textures. Say
you have a nice algorithm to generate it but the only language you
know is Visual Basic, so patching POV is out of the question.

Well, a .df3 file is just that: a 3D bitmap.  When you use one, it's
just like an imagemap (well... more like Nathan's image_pattern patch,
in that it works with color_map) except that it varies in all three
dimensions instead of just two.

You're the artist here; you tell me how useful such a thing is. :)