POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mushroom cloud using DF3 : Re: Mushroom cloud using DF3 Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:34:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mushroom cloud using DF3
From: Peter Popov
Date: 16 Apr 1999 13:03:01
Message: <37175dca.8994218@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 06:12:59 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>Lewis wrote:
>>
>> What is DF3?
>
>Roughly interperated I believe it means 3D density file. There is an
>option in pov that will allow you to use a .df3 file as a way to control
>the density function inside a media. It has other uses as well but this
>was it's primary intended purpose. There is a utility that will allow
>you to take one or several .tga image(s) and create a binary .df3 file.
>The black art involved with knowing what to feed the conversion utility
>is what this thread hopefully will answer for us all. I am skeptical that
>anyone really knows to be perfectly honest with you and I sit patiently
>on the side waiting for this revelation to unfold.

Attached is a five I've successfully used to generate several .df3s
out of csg-able objects - a keyboard, the word POV, a julia fractal, a
torus (with some turbulence makes a really good pipe smoke ring). Just
declare the object you need converted and render an animation. The
object bust fit into the unit box and must be csg-able. Frames must be
of square shape. It takes a lot of tweaking to get a complex object to
fit into the unit cube, but if you have the superpatch, a simple macro
using min_extent and max_extent could do the trick. For now, I hopw
this is useful as is.

---------
Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700