POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Announce: New Utilites Resource List : Re: Announce: New Utilites Resource List Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:25:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Announce: New Utilites Resource List
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 16 Apr 1999 09:17:36
Message: <37172AE0.BD138B78@inapg.inra.fr>
As I see it, the current "macro" directory in the demo files (and that already
contains a few useful examples) could be expanded. Several categories :
- general math macros : random number generation, vector positionning...
- animation macros..
- sfx macros : lens flares...
- general object macros : lofter/shapers, extrusion, waves, terrain, particle,
liquid spray...
- deformation macros : bender, twister...
- vegetation & fur (!) macros : trees, grass, flowers, fur...
- architecture macros : columns, windows, walls, curtains..
- props macros : bottles, etc...
- people macros : blobman...

(other examples in the #macroscope of course)

Note that some Colefax macros rely on Nieminen's Mesh Compressor utility
because they read its pcm format, so that they are not totally
platform-independent (or am I mistaken ?). Also, some macros work only with
patched versions (but these patches will eventually merge with the official
version so...).

Now this is not as simple as it seems, because :
- the macro authors should give clearance for distribution (who wouldn't, but
it's necessary to ask anyway)
- some users will ask for support directly to the pov-team and we don't want
the team to be burdened with questions not related to povray development
- being in the official distribution means quality : "official" macros should
be as bug-free as povray itself. Somebody will have to take up the work of
verifying the macros, discussing with the authors etc. No little task.

Gilles Tran
The Book of Beginnings - Povray Gallery
http://www.mediaport.net/Artichaud/Tran/gtran.en.html