POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov-ray for Max? : Re: Pov-ray for Max? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:28:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov-ray for Max?
From: Ken
Date: 16 Apr 1999 04:30:06
Message: <3716E5A4.6E25C587@pacbell.net>
Lance Birch wrote:

> And as you said of course, it is dependant on the incident of reflection...
> but to my knowledge there isn't really a perfect way to measure something
> like this from real life...

That sir is where you are wrong. There are very well defined methods
that have been developed to define the characteristics of light and
how it interacts with various surfaces and finishes. Many of these
methods are used at least in part for metalurgical testing and there is
still a growing research industry for controlling laser light, either
through optimizing the reflection for a surface without loss of
energy or the multitude of of beam splitting surfaces whose applications
are so numerous that a degree from college on the subject will still
leave you not knowing everything you could know about it.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net