POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : general quzzing. : Re: general quzzing. Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:31:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: general quzzing.
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 15 Apr 1999 15:07:02
Message: <37162ac6.0@news.povray.org>
portelli wrote in message <371640A2.6D033785@pilot.msu.edu>...

>> 1)
>> What are the current "cutting edge" techniques too create 3D images?
>> I know of raytracing and scanline rendering. What other techniques exist?
>Realtime rendering, like OpenGl and DirectX.  "Cutting Edge"
>techniques?  I think the biggest fad is NURBS.  Most high end modelers
>have them or a form of them.

NURBS is a modelling technique, not rendering.
But besides raytracing and scanline, the third wide-spread system is
radiosity rendering, mainly used in architectural lighting studies. OpenGL
and Direct3D rendering are, AFAIK, just specialized versions of scanline
(Z-buffer) rendering. Pixar's Rendeman uses their propietary REYES renderer;
I think this is related to scanline, but don't quote me on this.
More than one of the several methods are generally used in (non-realtime)
rendering engines, most common combinations are raytracing+radiosity and
raytracing+scanline.

Margus