POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov-ray for Max? : Re: Pov-ray for Max? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:32:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov-ray for Max?
From: Lance Birch
Date: 15 Apr 1999 06:27:55
Message: <3715b11b.0@news.povray.org>
Yes, you're right, Radioray can't compete with POV-Ray, not unless you're
running a ludicrously fast computer!  :)

MAX R3's rendering interface has been completely redesigned and yes, it
should be faster.  Each element of the rendering has been split into
plug-ins... shadows, shaders, anti-aliasing etc etc.  Some other cool
additions include Anistropic shaders, Oren-Neyler-Blinn surface model,
Render Effects (Film Grain, Flare, Glow, Color Balance, Brightness/Contrast
etc, added when you render in normal mode... without having to jump to the
VP), soft selections, Surface Tools, MORE(!!!)  NURBS features, highly
editable patches and XReferencing (so no more "damn, now I've got to copy
this model into that OTHER scene I made because I changed it..." it
basically is like AutoCAD's Object Referencing).

Also the Heidi engine has been improved and is now 30% faster for viewport
displays!  WOO HOO!!!  (oh and it's also been optimised for Pentium III
Xeon, so the people lucky enough to be running Quad PIII Xeon 500 Mhz
Silicon Graphics Inc Workstations will get a HUGE boost!!!)

--
Lance.

---
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone
For a totally different experience, visit my Chroma Key Website:
Colorblind - http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/parallax/359/colorblind

Jobbert van Strien wrote in message <37159930.5A228786@wxs.nl>...
>Thanks for the information. I'm not a programmer and have no idea how these
>programs work code-like. As you say there are plugins like Raymax, which
comes
>with a render engine of its own. That's why I thought that it might be
possible
>to create a plugin render engine from POV-Ray. By the way, I did try
Raymax, but
>it just isn't that good and fast as POV ray. And about Radioray: The
radiosity
>calculation is not fast, only if you lower the quality to a very doubtful
value
>it can compete with POV, but the images look shitty. I've heard that in
Max3 the