POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov-ray for Max? : Re: Pov-ray for Max? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:34:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov-ray for Max?
From: Lance Birch
Date: 14 Apr 1999 19:08:48
Message: <371511f0.0@news.povray.org>
I think that it would be near impossible to do this considering MAX's
architecture... the whole of the rendering engine of POV-Ray and texture
calls would have to be created as DLLs and be able to interface with MAX,
something that's not very easy if you've read the MAX SDK section on
renderers...

Remember, MAX is STILL a scan-line renderer, and always will be, the
raytracing is ONLY part of the shadowing and texture calls...

If you want really quick raytracing in MAX I suggest RayMAX and if you want
quick raytracing and radiosity in MAX, I suggest RadioRay (the radiosity
this produces is superb, the best I've seen anywhere).  Both are very fast
and efficient... and cost a packet :-(

If you really want to render MAX files with POV-Ray, you'll have a lot of
problems if you're using the advanced features of MAX... (especially it's
highly specific raytraced textures and multi-level textures, because these
won't be converted...).

Currently there is no MAX to POV-Ray convertor, because of MAX's stack file
saving (saves the stacks, not the objects, which saves CONSIDERABLE space).
You could always export to 3DS and then to POV-Ray, but you'll loose so much
information that it wouldn't be worth it...

Oh, and you should be able to find a sample version of RayMAX on Trinity
3D's site, www.trinity3d.com

They also have the best collection of MAX plug-ins I've seen... (plus there
is a good one on my website ;-)

--
Lance.

---
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone
For a totally different experience, visit my Chroma Key Website:
Colorblind - http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/parallax/359/colorblind