POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : dreams of POV 3.5 and 4.0 : Re: dreams of POV 3.5 and 4.0 Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:23:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: dreams of POV 3.5 and 4.0
From: Anthony Bennett
Date: 14 Apr 1999 01:40:07
Message: <3713C38D.1A0E55CD@panama.phoenix.net>
> IK is already available in Moray (which is hardly a $$$ package).

$$$ indicates money in any range whatsoever, be it $1 or $1,000,000.

> Your mini-studios concept is certainly interesting and novel. But it would
> pretty much be a duplicated effort. There are several free/cheap modellers
> for POV, which can do this and much more. If only any of them could read POV
> files, I'd be a happy puppy.

Mr. Parker suggested the term 'mini-modellers'. I like it more. I don't think it
would be a duplicated effort, simply a necessary combination of the whole. Why
have half a dozen little programs doing one primitive each, when you can open a
mini-modeller from within POV and just make an object, look at it, and 'create'
it as povscript? This would make me happier.

> Something I would really like is the ability to access POV's internal
> functions. Like trace, min_extent and max_extent in the Superpatch
> (incredibly useful functions, IMO), but also reflection, refraction, pigment
> or any other texture property at an intersection point, light intensity at a
> given point in space, etc. etc. These are, of course, just of-the-wall
> examples, but you can see what I'm referring to.
> I would, of course, also applaude the addition of collision detection.

Yup, all those would be nice to have, but... light intensity? Don't even bother
explaining, I'm sure somebody will find some cool use for it. =)