POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : dreams of POV 3.5 and 4.0 : Re: dreams of POV 3.5 and 4.0 Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:34:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: dreams of POV 3.5 and 4.0
From: Anthony Bennett
Date: 14 Apr 1999 01:32:32
Message: <3713C1C9.EFDB4F22@panama.phoenix.net>
> I've thought about these, too.  I tend to call them "wizards", but I like
> "mini-modeler" too.  The "studio" thing just doesn't do it for me.

You're right. Mini-modeller it is. =)

> If GUI-Extensions could write to the current editor window, you'd be most
> of the way there as far as the POV end is concerned.  A nice addition would
> be the ability to read the current editor window as well as know the cursor
> position.  Then you could encode the parameters of the object in a comment
> in a machine-readable fashion, so you could click inside one of your mini-
> modeler objects, select the appropriate menu item, and bring it back up
> for further editing.  If this were an official patch, you could even syntax-
> highlight the stuff between the cryptic comments like MSVC does, to mark it
> as wizard-generated code.  A creative coder could even add OpenGL support to
> a mini-modeler, so you could preview your lathe from all different angles.

OpenGL? I think just simple lines and circles would be nice for a quick
vizualization of the object. The think that I don't like is that some of our
other friends (other OSes) who don't have a gui would not like being left out. I
don't want that, but I want these features so bad, I can almost* say I don't
care.

* Note: by employing the word "almost", the author of the above message indicates
that a little voice inside him screams to him not to care, not that this is what
he desires for you, the community. This note is sponsored in part by Pepsi. (~)