POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lenses : Re: Lenses Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lenses
From: Ken
Date: 13 Apr 1999 16:36:23
Message: <37139B69.C67E6D52@pacbell.net>
ingo wrote:

> for constructing a positive lens use a sphere-sphere intersection, for a
> negative one a difference of a cylinder with two spheres. To calculate the
> radii of the lens you need the lens-makers formula (could simply be made
> into a macro)
> P=(nl-n0)((1/R1)-(1/R2))
> P=n0/f
>
> P=power of the lens
> nl= ior of the lens (put this one also in your interior)
> n0= ior of air (~1)
> R1, R2= radius of the lens-surface
> f=focal distance of the lens
>
> for construction of optical systems you need Newtons and/or Gauss' lens
> equation.
> For looking through a system POV-Ray is ok, for making the path of light
> visible you need Nathans' uv-patch. POV lenses are perfect, no abberations
> or dispersion. I constructed a fresnel-lens that works fine, the macro is at
> twyst's macroscope.
>
> Ken posted a URL with a lot of optics info a few days ago. ( I lost the url
> already, Ken how do you maintain  400+ bookmarks? A utility or just your
> neural network?)
>
> ingo
> --
> Met dank aan de muze met het glazen oog.
>
> Rune S. Johansen heeft geschreven in bericht <37124c8f.0@news.povray.org>...
> >Is there any tutorials on how to make lenses that works in POV-Ray?
> >I mean how to use lens shapes with ior cleverly.
> >F.x., is it possible to make two lenses that gives different zoom
> >when back and forth away?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Rune S. Johansen
> >http://hjem.get2net.dk/rsj

It would be nice to have a utility that I could feed the entire book mark file
into and have it report back all non working links. I have yet to find a
bookmark in my collection to a utility that will allow this sort of function
but someone surely has made one in the past.

I think the link you were referring to was:
http://www.physics.umd.edu/deptinfo/facilities/lecdem/demolst.htm#l3

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net