POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Color list patterns in media : Re: Color list patterns in media Server Time
24 Jun 2024 08:40:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Color list patterns in media
From: Peter Popov
Date: 11 Apr 1999 14:08:34
Message: <37103918.24200681@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 10 Apr 1999 11:56:53 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>Peter Popov wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone please explain why this:
>>
>> density { checker }
>>
>> and this
>>
>> density { checker rgb <1,0,0>, rgb <0,0,0> }
>>
>> give errors, while this:
>>
>> density { checker density { rgb <1,0,0> }, density { rgb <0,0,0> } }
>>
>> works just fine?
>>
>> Here's the whole scene:
>
>That is the correct behaviour as detailed in the docs. It is the exact
>same syntax necessary to use color list patterns in a texture statement.
>There is one very short 2 line mention of this in the docs that is a bit
>hard to find. The second example you provided is the correct way of
>specifying color list patterns in media.

From the POV-Ray docs:

-------------------
For block pattern types checker, hexagon, and brick you may specify a
color list such as this:

  density{checker rgb<1,0,0>, rgb<0,0,0>}

See "Color List Pigments" which describes how pigment uses a color
list. The same principles apply when using them with density.
--------------------

The example shown above does not work. Under "Color List Pigments" it
is written that the two entries must be separated by a comma and the
color keyword must be used, like this:

density { checker color White, color Black }

This gives the same error:

} expected, color found instead

So, what am I doing wrong?

>P.S. About a month ago I posted a study of this in povray.binaries.images.
>It provides example images and the source code showing how to use the three
>different color list patterns in a media statement.

I will try and locate your post. It should prove useful.

---------
Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700