POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : TGA files containing HF_Gray_16 data, Question 1 : Re: TGA files containing HF_Gray_16 data Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:27:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TGA files containing HF_Gray_16 data
From: F VERBAAS
Date: 10 Apr 1999 16:36:12
Message: <370fa82c.0@news.povray.org>
So, when making a height field with a paint program, one will practically
have to concentrate on the red channel only.  Fine 'tuning' using the less
sensitive blue channel is not effective.

This makes me now understand why my attempt to model ocean waves using a
height field in POV, using multiple transparant layers with a sine pattern
in the pigment have failed.
I actually was applying a 255 steps height scale, with an annoying extra
ripple on, of which I now know that it was the humble green channel,
repeating wat the big red brother dictated.

I suggest this is made more clear in the docs, that actually describe the
possibility to generate a height field using POV.

Is there anyone who is interested in a small application converting a normal
TGA file with three effective channels into a correct HF_Gray_16 file using
the relation '.3*Red+.59*Green+.11*Blue'?

Frans
Steven Jones heeft geschreven in bericht <370BCC88.85D17B81@tsn.cc>...