POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : How to make rippling water? : Re: How to make rippling water? Server Time
18 May 2024 12:35:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to make rippling water?
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 10 Apr 1999 20:56:13
Message: <370FE4F9.6417DF46@aol.com>
Thanks so much for pointing my ignorance out :)
I get stuck on these things from time to time, when in doubt use the
DOC.
What I was going on was the fact that ripples and phase are usually
thought of as the primary use for phase (and I think these used to be
the only patterns capable of it, but of that I'm making no guarantee
either).

This snippet is from the 3.1 DOC:
-----
This is only one, simple example of how a clock dependant phase shift
can create interesting animation effects. Trying phase will all sorts of
texture patterns, and it is amazing the range of animation effects we
can create simply by phase alone, without ever actually moving the
object.
-----
And in another place:
-----
The frequency and phase modifiers have no effect on block patterns
checker, brick, and hexagon nor do they effect image_map, bump_map or
material_map. They also have no effect in normal statements when used
with bumps, dents, quilted or wrinkles because these normal patterns
cannot use normal_map or slope_map.

They can be used with normal patterns ripples and waves even though
these two patterns cannot use normal_map or slope_map either. When used
with ripples or waves, frequency adjusts the space between features and
phase can be adjusted from 0.0 to 1.0 to cause the ripples or waves to
move relative to their center for animating the features.
-----

Fact is there's just a lot more to it than a quick and dumb reply,
forgive me please.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe