POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : TGA Transparency? : Re: TGA Transparency? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:32:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TGA Transparency?
From: Ken
Date: 9 Apr 1999 03:44:59
Message: <370DA0B9.A11B688E@pacbell.net>
Ken wrote:
>  I just checked the Docs on this and found a clause in the use of the
> filter/transmit all function that I never had quite noticed before.
> These particular bitmap modifiers only work with .png, .gif, and .iff
> image types. It is not supported for .tga image files.

   Yo,

   As a follow up to my last message I did a little more digging into
 what is and what is not compatable with the transmit/filter compatibility
 with image maps and found a rather dissapointing limitation. I have a
 .gif file that was working quite well with the flt/trans modifiers and
 converted it to a 16m color 24 bit .png image file. When I attempted to
 render the same scene I was using with the .gif file the filter and
 transmit values I had assigned were completely ignored. I coverted the
 original .gif file again to .png but this time to 8 bit and 256 colors
 and it rendered with similar performance as seen using the .gif image.

   I am going to try it again with the .tga file format when this render
 I am working on finishes. I have a hunch that if I save the .tga to 256
 colors and 8 bit it will work as expected.

   Anyone know why these functions are behaving this way and is it the way
 they should be working ?

 --
 Ken Tyler

 mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net