POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : TGA Transparency? : Re: TGA Transparency? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:31:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TGA Transparency?
From: Ken
Date: 8 Apr 1999 19:39:27
Message: <370D2EEB.81A4127A@pacbell.net>
H. E. Day wrote:

> <<  That depend on what you expect it to do. If you are just trying to
> get
> a colored layer below it to come through varied amounts of transmit all
> should have some impact. Filter all is another option as well as a
> combinatin of the two.>>
>
> No effect either way. No matter, I think I've found a way around it.
>
> << If you are trying for a stained glass window with colored light beams
> appearing in a dusty room I wish you luck. I still have not mastered
> that
> effect myself. If I ever do I'm going to patent the process. :)>>
>
> Try a PNG with a alpha channel.  Look at my Ac_vs_ebe*.* files on the
> irtc.  The Chicken wire is a good example.  Take note though - it took 2
> weeks to render.
>
> H. E. Day

 I just checked the Docs on this and found a clause in the use of the
filter/transmit all function that I never had quite noticed before.
These particular bitmap modifiers only work with .png, .gif, and .iff
image types. It is not supported for .tga image files. It suddenly
clears up some misconceptions I have had for years about the use of
these modifiers.

 Like they say "you learn something new everyday". And with all of
the parameters in Pov-Ray this is a daily occurance.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net