POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature addition to the Normal function ? : Feature addition to the Normal function ? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:32:33 EDT (-0400)
  Feature addition to the Normal function ?
From: Ken
Date: 7 Apr 1999 14:22:16
Message: <370B9314.B82BD162@pacbell.net>
A few thoughts on a possible addition to the normal function in Pov.

 The current implementation of the normal function is controlled
by the pattern type choosen for the normal, is applied by an
internaly controled slope, which is dependant on the pattern type
specified.
  The options available to overide this behavior is to change the
wave type, which is useful but still limited in scope, and to go
outside the application with the use of an image file applied as
a bump map modifier. This is a versitle approach but requires
the generation of an external file, in the form of an image, and
limits the amount of direct control, inside Pov, you have on
changes to its construction.
  It occured to me that it might be useful to be able to apply
an interal, user specified, color map to the function so that you
can directly affect the slope of the pattern instead of relying
upon the internaly controlled wighted average, or having to resort
to using a bump map applied image as the currently available options
allow for.
  I see several benifits that would come from this and some very
interesting surface topographies would be accoplished in short
time if the user had more internal control of the slope disribution
in a normal by adding a color controlled modifier to the function.

 Is this possible and is it worth additional discussion and or
investigation ?

 I would like to hear what others think of this and what other possible
advantages there may be that I have not covered arisinging from the
addition of such a feature.

 Regards,

--
Ken Tyler