POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Farewell CompuServe : Re: Farewell CompuServe Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:25:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Farewell CompuServe
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 6 Apr 1999 23:30:53
Message: <370AC33A.2574548B@aol.com>
Sad indeed, for the sentimentalist and non-sentimentalist alike.
I was first using Compuserve as my internet access and even uploaded a
few things there; maybe a POV raytrace as well, been too long ago to
remember.
I too think things are taking a good turn for POV-Ray instead of bad. I
tried another trial of Compuserve about a year ago and it was so slow
moving from place to place there. I have been using AOL now for the past
few years and it's much quicker. The POV-Ray SIG (special interest
group) there as waned a bit also however, being no longer called an SIG.
The uploads and message posting activity has certainly dwindled over the
years.
By stark contrast the internet side seems to be flourishing. In fact,
the 3D rendering acivity on AOL doesn't appear so healthy either, but
maybe it's just my viewpoint. Or maybe there is actually some sort of
exodus going on away from the online companies and onto the internet.
Personal web pages have certainly been growing in popularity so maybe
that's part of the reasoning for more and more web-based activity.
Things sure have changed anyhow. From BBS's and ftp to online services
to web sites and http, is that it?

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe